… another New Year, and the goals start building up!
Of course the fact that I am writing this, together with the fact that you are reading this does, on its own, give cause for jubilation however, aside from celebrating life, a new year is a cause for much thought about what really must be done vs what should be done vs what I would like to do. Those three aspects of how to use my time in this new year get more conflicted the more I think about them because once I start making lists, it becomes obvious that 365 days is quite inadequate!
I have just reviewed my January 1, 2016 Post (below):
… and upon reviewing those goals, was not particularly impressed.
The most important one was Ray’s separation anxiety, and that has been the most disappointing one because we have made no progress. In fairness to us, we were working on it and making snail’s pace progress (but it was progress), until Carol had to spend some time in hospital. This not only put us back to the very beginning (will he let us touch the back door handle?), but it appeared to have reinforced Ray’s resolve to not let us out of his sight ever again. We’ll be trying again soon!
The next one was getting Ray’s book published. After taking 9 months to write it, and 18 months to “polish it”, I was getting a little impatient. That was successfully completed in May of last year, but also forced me to confront the realities of how to make the whole world know that it is available to purchase! That is quite a challenge!
Looking for a place where Ray can run free was also noted for last year. We did let him loose in a fenced sports field however, as it is against our local by-laws, it is not a habit that we can encourage so… I guess… we were only mildly successful!
We did renew our subscription to use our local conservation areas but, in contrast to using them more than in 2015, we actually used them less! We have renewed again so hopefully we will do better this year!
Getting Ray “up to speed” as our running buddy was planned for last year. It didn’t happen!
Finally, last year we were going to try and improve the image of Ray by some family members. I hesitate to say that we were successful, but we did make a little progress. The trouble here is that humans are more resistant to change than dogs, and I cannot bring myself to using treats and positive reinforcement training with them (humans)!
So what’s on the “menu” for 2017? In no particular order:
- Ray’s separation anxiety
- Get my book of Poetic Verse published.
- Get a Canadian Passport! Critical if I want to be allowed back into the country under new rules!
- Get back into running and complete 5km and 10km races
- Dust off my guitars and get back into my music.
- Record a “voice-over” to Mike Oldfield’s “Ommadawn” (Carol’s request)
- Hallway needs renovating, and back door and screen door both need some work!
- Finish off Train Simulator projects.
- Use our fitness equipment in the basement more as I am fast losing muscle mass (a simple fact of aging). I have never had particularly good upper body strength, but certainly don’t want to lose what I do have when I can certainly impact that product of aging!
I almost forgot … Happy New Year to all you “guys”! 🙂