First, I offer my sincere thanks for all the thoughts and prayers that have been tagged with Ray’s name this past week. He’s not in the clear yet … but it is looking good for him.
On Tuesday of this week, he was booked in for surgery at 9:45am. We (the vet and us) mutually agreed that an early as possible start would increase his chances of coming home with us by the time they close at 7:00pm. Given his severe separation anxiety, he could only be kept overnight if he was heavily sedated.
Carol made a custom fitted “onesie” for him to minimize any chance of him irritating the incision area. We had already decided that a cone on Ray would only invite disaster.
His tumour had already been tested. It was malignant and therefore most certainly coming out. It was the vet’s recommendation to not only remove the 1″ tumour, but also the surrounding tissue within 2″ – 3″ of it thereby minimizing the possibilities of further issues. We agreed.
Poor Ray was soon “out” and carried into the operating room. As he was on an involuntary fast since Monday evening, we had not had breakfast (couldn’t eat in front of him). We decided to go and have some breakfast and be back (as requested) in about an hour.
It was not long after our return that a very relaxed and motionless Ray was brought in on a stretcher and placed on the floor. It seemed like forever before he made any slight movement, which was immediately followed by relaxed motionless again. It was possibly about an hour before he moved his head. As advised, we were constantly talking to him and shaking him (and gently rolling him over) because his past history woulds suggest it would be a long time before he would be capable of getting in/out of a car!
We were getting constant visits and support by the vet staff, and Ray slowly became more and more aware of his surroundings. It was probably another hour or two before he tried to stand up. Poor Ray wanted so much to move around, but his leg muscles were not cooperating and his rear kept sinking towards the carpet. This was the pattern for the afternoon until around 5:30pm, when he showed a distinct interest in going outside. By 6:00pm we were on our way home.
The incision is on his left side, and is about 4″ long. Once he was home, he just wanted to lay down and go back to sleep, but his preference was to lay on his left side. Clearly that was not going to work, so we had a very unhappy Ray wandering aimlessly around the home, trying to find a place that didn’t hurt. He eventually discovered his right side!
As at this moment (Thursday afternoon), his incision is looking much better. Ray is a little more active, but with painkillers, antibiotics and his regular meds … he is in a bit of a daze.
So what’s next? We have to wait for the test results to confirm what his current status is, and we should know that by the end of next week.